Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Finals Week Love


The thing about being a college student is that I have no clue where any of my time goes. I feel like my first day of class was a week ago and now I am done with finals for the quarter. Life goes by so fast for the busy and the stressed. That is the thing about school. It has made me stressed beyond belief and takes up all of my time. I have no real clue how I even made it here and got to the end of the quarter. This being the hardest quarter of my life, I am actually surprised with myself at the piece I feel about it. I took 4 classes and ended with only 3. A lab, a hard lecture, and an English. The stress really kicked in this last month or so and I have times where I have felt utterly abandoned by God and completely empty of all ambition. I am here to tell you that I made it through one of the most unfortunate quarters and am sure that God did not abandon me in my trials.

For those of you who don’t know me I am fairly comfortable under stress. I can usually shrug it off and go about my day but this quarter was different. I had times I literally crumbled onto the floor unable to do any work or even move. I felt like I was fighting an uphill battle as I watched my grades slip deeper and deeper into the abyss even while I was studying like a mad man. I couldn't stop thinking about them and started losing sleep. And on top of the hardest quarter of my life two weeks before finals I get mono. It was the worst. I couldn't drink water without pain all I could do was lay in place unable to sleep or eat. I was just withering. I felt abandoned. Then at the height of my sickness my house prayed for me. I expected and wanted a miraculous healing but didn't get it. I didn't feel any different. I was disheartened and lonely. I felt isolated from the people I call friends. I felt abandoned by God. That night I went to my room and tried to pray and ended in tears. I was drowning in loneliness and helplessness. Then the next day I went to the health center complaining about my inability to sleep and eat. They gave me medication and sent me back home for rest. I was afraid to take the pain meds so I put it off for most of the day. Then I sat down to take them and prayed that I wouldn't have to use the acetaminophen coden and I didn't feel chilled anymore. I still felt pain but no fever; I felt hungry and was able to eat for the first time.

I am still recovering. Getting better every day but that moment that I prayed was when it all turned around. I don’t know how significant it is to all of you. But it was really significant for me. I felt all quarter that I was doing all of this alone. I felt spiritually dry a lot of the time but that moment made me feel that I wasn’t alone. That he was still watching over me. God works in interesting ways I have found through my last couple years really following him. I realize now that it was not that he was letting me suffer but was fighting against it. I am really thankful the sickness to be honest. It has helped me focus on studying this finals week now that I can actually function and I didn’t really miss that much school. I feel now that I am actually closer to God and started developing this weird desire to read the Bible.

Basically my story was meant to tell you that even though you may be struggling and feel alone while studying for finals God will help you weather you ask or not. Asking is just more effective than waiting. And if I can survive finals week recovering from mono then you all can do incredible. Just know that you are loved by me and most importantly God. He will direct you and provide for you even if you feel that he has left you.  When you look back on your life you will realized that God did not leave you in this time but it was here he carried you.


May the Force be with you,
Cyrus Schaaf

No comments:

Post a Comment