Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Spiritual Superpowers?


What is your favorite superpower? Mine was always super speed. I think it would be so cool to be able to move as fast as light itself. You would be in such good shape and never need a car. I would be able to run on the surface tension of the water and climb mountains in seconds. I am just saying that having super human abilities would be awesome. I have dreamt about them since I was little. A lot of kids grow up saying I want to be a Jedi or a superhero. I know those are some unrealistic goals I still have days that I dream about lifting my phone to me with the force, or the ability to say materialize food with my mind (meat vision). But as much as I would want the force I sadly have come to terms with the fact that I will never be able to move anything with the use of a high cellular Midi-chlorian count. The supernatural was written off as myth, impossible.

With this in mind I moved to college and started my journey to understand Christ and the amazing things that he did in his life time. Some could say that these were superpowers; Super human healing, mind reading, and well changing the surface tension of the water to walk on it. All this is explained with a hugely faith based claim; Jesus is the physical embodiment of god and all his power. A statement that forms the very basis of the religion that I have subscribed to, and I believe it to be true therefore I am a Christian. My faith operates in a way that I can justify these miraculous events by saying that he is the son of God, clearly he would have special gifts that would make no scientific sense at all. Although this is a huge claim, a large belief that would require much more explanation I am not ready to even think about trying to reason it out. My main question that I am exploring is; Why does God choose to show himself in our world though the supernatural or a more common term ‘spiritual gifts’?

This has been a stumbling point in my faith for a while now. How could I possibly explain people just like me having super powers? How is it possible that one day someone has a broken shoulder and then the next they are able to go climbing? How can someone see the realm of the spirits that is invisible to most of us? How can one pray in tongues, while another only in English? And what is the purpose of all these gifts.
Now I for one cannot answer the ‘how’ question any more than saying that God chooses to work by using them as a conduit of his power. I do have a theory about the why though.  Before I get to my theory I believe that is necessary to explain a bit more about spiritual gifts for those that may not even know what I am talking about; that was me not even 20 minutes ago. I recently met with someone I would call a spiritual mentor of mine to explore this super weird and confusing phenomenon. We spent our time reading parts of the bible that talks about these types of spiritual gifts (passages listed below), and he explained how they were separated into 3 different groups.

First there are character gifts, these would be gifts that everyone has and can be shown as character traits. This would be gifts like an affinity for, teaching or leading, the ability to empathize with people and the ability to encourage others. I would like to make the claim that God has given all of us some character gift. This is not restricted for those of outrageous faith or even a belief in God. I have had teachers that are great speakers and great thinkers that are not Christians. I have had leaders, which are not Christians, that are more organized and caring that some of the Christians that I know. I have had the gifts that I think my character possesses since before I was really a Christian. The fact that we all have these kinds of gifts in my mind just shows how good and loving God is. I know this is a very Christian view about these characteristics but that is what I believe in and it is my truth; any who moving on now to the next type of gift.
The next type we defined would be gifts of ministry. These gifts would be God giving an affinity to preform different type’s roles in a church setting to individuals of that community. Some examples are evangelists, those who are more inclined to outreach to people who are not a part of that specific community, or a teacher, one who tries to understand in the bible and then share that understanding with the community.  Though these gifts the Christian community is supposed to work together in a caring and efficient way. Sadly this sometimes is not the case, but is the goal of Christian communities.

Finally we have the last group of manifesting gifts or as I like to call them “Superpowers”. These powers are things like healing, prophecy, and tongues. Things that I cannot scientifically justify but I think I have an idea of why God has to act in this more straight forward way. In 1 Corinthians 12:7 Paul says “To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good.”  This to me says that these manifestation gifts or any gift for that matter is so that we can be used to help each other and the common good of our communities. These gifts are given to help us as Christians help people in a direct way, a way to serve as a conduit for God’s love. I know these types of gifts are hard if not impossible to completely understand so bear with me. For me personally I have trouble with seeing how the gift of Tongues helps the common good, but this is an entirely different topic that I will have to think on and discuss another time.

Something that I have learned about gifts of the spirit is that they are real and not just some weird magic that we crazy Christian people believe in.  But more importantly there is no gift that is more important than another. There is no gift that is more valuable than another. Each has its own strengths or weaknesses and each helps straighten God’s kingdom. Oooh I can back this up with Scripture, exciting! In 1 Corinthians 14:1 Paul says that “Purse love, and earnestly desire the spiritual gifts, especially prophecy.” But not just prophecy, Paul meant to provide an example to the Corinthians whom only valued the gift of Tongues. Paul stresses that one gift does not make up the entire body of Christ. All are important and we cannot exist as a community if we do not value our character gifts, our role in the community, or even the superpowers some may possess.  Also the most important point to take out of this whole concept of gifts is that we are to use them in Love for everyone. These gifts mean nothing without Love, and Love is the greatest gift that God has provided us with.

Following blind is not following at all,
Cyrus Schaaf
Verses used:
1 Corinthians 12:6-11 (Manifestation gifts)
1 Corinthians 14:1
Romans 12:6-13 (Character gifts)
Ephesians 4:11-15 (Ministry gifts)

No comments:

Post a Comment